Thursday, May 9, 2013

What will happen to my high heels when im old?

 High Heel Pencil Drawing 
I work with the geriatric population (older people) for physical therapy. I spend my days teaching them how to use walkers and rollators, how to properly sit down and stand up without breaking a hip and how to get in and out of the bathtub without falling. I sometimes help them re-learn to walk after a hip or knee replacement and I listen to all their stories. My oldest patient just turned 97 and most of my patients are between the ages of 80-95. So I hear a lot of stories and at least one time a day someone tells me "Never Get Old".
It's bound to happen though. I probably think about it more than most people my age because I hang out with 90 year olds on a regular basis. I'm painfully aware that I age a little every day of my life. I am also painfully aware that I will probably get arthritis, shrink a few inches, and need a walker one day...if I live long enough. I'm not too worried about getting old. Hell we all have to do it...but the one thing that seems to actually bother me about getting older is...
what the hell will happen to my shoes?
I know I know it's quite shallow to think this way but seriously what will become of them? I know I can't wear 4.5 inch L.A.M.B Oxleys and 6 inch Charlotte Olympia Wedges forever.
I wouldn't want to sell them or give them away. I doubt the daughter I haven't conceived yet will have feet as big as mine...but I pray so, so at least then I can pass down my beautiful collection. I guess I can create a nice little shoe museum in a far room of the house I don't yet own where I can go and be amongst my shoes. I'd go there to reminisce on my youth and when I wore YSL pumps just to walk down the street and T-Strap Wedges that whenever I wore them I got tons of compliments.
I mean seriously...am I the only person who thinks these seriously weird yet valid thoughts?
They say: Life is short...buy the shoes. But how long can you really wear those coveted shoes?
Maybe its not really about wearing them and everything about owning them.
 
What do you think?
            
 
 


9 comments:

  1. First I love what you do for the older ones. As someone who has a grandmother who uses a walker and or cane everyday I appreciate you, so kudos.
    Second. lol at the shoes. I wish my mom had kept her 70's platforms because everything eventually comes back in style. So pack those puppies away just in case your daughter, niece, friends kid, etc will want your now back in style shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love love this funny post it's def something to think about :) I like the museum idea although we all know you'll be so famous by then they'll be worth a fortune :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always tell my friends that when i die, i want to be buried with all my shoes hahahaa!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very interesting post because I too feel the same way. I love the museum idea though :)
    Your job description sounds like fun especially well the older folks share their life story :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awwww I also work for older adults! They're the best imo. Everyone loves babies, but I'd rather play cards with a slick grandpa any day =)

    Krystal K.
    The Feisty House
    www.thefeistyhouse.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This! I don't work with older people but I love my grandpa that man keeps me on my toes withe his snarky butt! I learned from the best haha.

      Delete
  6. Keep those shoes! When you are in your 80's they will become "two-step" shoes (two steps and you sit down). You can wear them in your golden years, just don't walk very far in them! I have so many heels that I wear only when I know I will be sitting for most of the night! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't wear heels at 27...it's sad i love them but I can barely walk in them anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have this same thought everyday because of my love for shoes. My obsession with shoes does have a meaning behind it. I'm a sickle cell Anemia patient and I know that sooner than I probably think, I would have to give up wearing heels as my bones get weaker and weaker. My ultimate goal in my career as a business woman is to eventually design shoes in the future which most of the funds, I wanna use to provide medicine for children with sickle cell anemia in Nigeria. Although, now I cant effort expensive shoes but I do strategically purchase some name brand shoes on sales. I think i'll give my shoes away to someone who would appreciate it when that time comes. I like this post monroe.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and read them all!
Follow me on: Facebook|Twitter|Bloglovin