Sunday, September 15, 2013

The Flight

View from my Window in 10th Arrondissement Canal St. Martin
I want my blog posts from Paris to be more of  diary. A glimpse into my trip and a little more personal than my outfit posts. I am currently sitting in my tiny yet efficient Parisian apartment complete with rooftop views and an expresso machine. It feels so surreal to be here. The flight was amazing. While checking in I saw a very unusual couple. They both had their hair dreaded and were both native Parisians. They were super sweet to one another. Always whispering in each others ears, holding hands, planting tiny kisses on each others cheeks every few minutes. As it would turn out these two would be my seat mates during the six hour flight. 
The guy who's name I never got works as an online editor for National Geographic. We talked about the weather in Paris and how Paris isn't like New York. He thought New York was amazing by the way. He says Paris is very..."Charming". I've already noticed that Parisians use the word "Charming" a lot. He told me I should take a day or two in Berlin as well which is what I was already thinking of doing to hang out with fellow blogger Mia whom I met a few seasons ago at New York Fashion Week.
I could barely sleep on the plane I was so excited. I actually cried a little. I think its because its really always been a dream of mine to come to Paris and the fact that I was accomplishing something that I've always wanted to do...it was overwhelming. I cried silent tears of happiness. I've only ever been out of the US twice, once to Mexico and last year to Spain. The flight to Spain was retched. There was so much turbulence I spent the whole time white knuckling the arm rest and silently praying to live through the flight. I try not to let thoughts of the plane crashing and me dying a burning watery death but I must admit I think about it at least once every time I fly. I then push the thought very far from my mind and pray over the plane and the pilots and for everyone's safety. 
This flight was the exact opposite. There was barely a trace of turbulence. I was relaxed and able to think about how I want to spend my two weeks in France.
The couple meanwhile were busy talking hushed to each other. At one point the guy fell asleep and let out a weird snort and the girl and I made eye contact and both laughed. He'd lay his head on her shoulder and sleep. Then she'd lay in his lap and sleep, then they'd wake and kiss and repeat the sequence. It made me miss my boyfriend who's currently away in Africa visiting his family. Then I cried again because I missed him so much. Yes..there I am on the plane silently crying every 20 minutes. "The crying American"...lol. I'm sure no one saw me though being that I had and eye mask on.
Paris is as charming as the French say. The quaint streets, the cobble stone, the canal, the rooftops. I know I'm going to like it here. Stay updated with me on Instagram.
 


7 comments:

  1. wow ... You're so inspiring I have yet to fly but it's my goal for 2014 I've decided to live life more step outside the box ... Hope to meet you one day soon :) You're like the Carrie Bradshaw of blogging ...

    P.S. have an amazing trip dear

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww.....Monroe, I am so happy for you! This has been a dream of mine too and one day, after I'm done with school, I will save up and tour Europe! Enjoy the rest of your visit and savour each and every moment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice. Looking forward to the diary of your adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely story of your flight! I remember my first trip to Paris it was magical! It's a beautiful city that will leave you longing for more. I try and go back every summer and it never gets any less amazing. Your Instagram post inspired me to blog about my favorite Paris vintage stores. Check it out if your looking for places to shop, which there's no shortage of lol.
    Avecamourlala.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Monroe I am so happy for you!! Even when I was a flight attendant I never made it to Paris. Its my biggest regret to this day. Looking forward to all of your posts about your experience.

    Xo,
    The Closet Whisperer

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahhh Paris. I was there in June. I think you always remember your first time in Paris. When I saw the Eiffel Tower all lit up at night on my first visit it was very emotional. If you're going to be sight seeing mainly in Paris look into the multi-day metro passes and the museum pass. Don't feel as if you have to rush and see everything, because trust me you will be back.

    P.S. There's a Zara on the Champs :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a sweet story! Enjoy your trip, can't wait to see more pics!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and read them all!
Follow me on: Facebook|Twitter|Bloglovin